Monday, April 6, 2009

May 22, 1884

I had to wait until he woke up before I could get the answers to my questions. He remained unconscious for the duration of the stressful night. On numerous occasions, I felt the feeling again, but it never got as strong as it did in the pub.

A couple of times the young man stirred, but never woke up. Afraid to leave him during the night, I kept a watchful eye on him. If I lost him, I would be back to square one and knew that couldn’t be allowed to happen. If this man hand any answers, I needed to wait.

Knowing that the beast was still out there was horrible enough, but without anyway to fight her I was truly helpless for the first time. It was a horrible feeling. I had been in many battles and survived many wounds, yet this one person actually caused me to fear for my life.

Looking out my window, I heard the young man mumble something in his sleep. Turning, I saw him sitting up, but his eyes were still shut. He turned toward me and his mouth opened a little bit and a voice seemed to spew out from him. “To fight the demon, you need to find the weapon of her master.” 

The man collapsed back onto the bed and started to snore again. I chuckled despite the fear which had caused me to shiver. The feeling stuck with me until morning. I wasn’t sure what the man meant, and watched him sleep. The sinking feeling of being doomed continued to loom over me and I never liked the feeling.

The first rays of the morning sunlight streaked across the room and right into my eyes. My eyes watered, but I refused to look away for fear the young man might do something else. He didn’t but after another two hours he woke up.

Sitting up, he looked at me and yawned. An impulse to wring his neck washed over me, but I clenched my fists and lowered my head. “You feeling better?”

He cocked his head to the side. “Yeah, but who are you?”

“I’m the one who brought you here.”

“You are the one who faced the woman huh?”

We were getting somewhere, and I grinned. “Yes, now what is this about the weapon of her master?”

His eyes shot open and he looked at me. His bottom lip quivered and I watched as he looked toward the door. He wouldn’t be able to escape before I broke his neck. He must have noticed my killer instinct as he didn’t move again.

“It’s a dagger. It’s made out of one of her scales. Crafted by ancient monks.”

“Where do I find it?”

He smiled and looked at me with a long, distant stare. “You can’t.”

“What do you mean?” Confusion washed over me as the more I learned the more I didn’t know what I had gotten myself into. Maybe I should have left town instead of trying to fight her.

“I mean you can’t do it. I can though.” He said.

“What do you mean?”

“You need my help. So I guess we are partners.” He said and kicked his feet off the bed.

“I work alone, but I can’t stop you from risking your own life if you want to.” I said. Did he actually know the risk, I’ll never know, but I was up for some companionship after traveling alone for so long.

“Fine, so it’s settled, I’m coming.” He said.

“Yes you are. You might as well tell me your name.” I said and stood up. Running my hand through my hair, I looked down at him.

“David.” He said and stood up.

He seemed taller than before and I reached my hand out. He shook it. It would be a partnership which didn’t last longer than I needed him. He didn’t know it, but he was only a tool to reach my goal of killing that hell beast.

“We’ll head off tomorrow.” He said. “Meet me here tomorrow night.”

“Why at night?”

“Because she only attacks at night, and the location of the dagger can only be seen through moonlight.” He said.

“Fine, tomorrow night we’ll get started.” I said.

He released my hand and left. Honestly, I wasn’t sure whether or not he would be back, but figured I didn’t have a chance. Besides if he didn’t show up, I would leave this miserable city to her wrath. I didn’t really care about anyone else except for myself.

The rest of the day I spent my day catching up on my sleep. If I had to face her again, I needed to be sure I would be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment